Friday, April 6, 2012

Explosion

Death. So sudden, so sure. Its part of life, it’s been around since the beginning and yet it’s such an uncertain word. For Lillian Hampton death itself would be heading her way.

It was a normal Friday afternoon. Lillian Hampton was heading home from her prestigious private school in Connecticut with, of course, her very best friend Charlotte Hilton. Where there was Lillian, there was Charlotte. The sound of their brand new BCBG boots clacking against the freshly paved road echoed down the tree lined street. It was the perfect scene, two rich and beautiful freshman walking home in their uniforms from a perfect day at school. Their lives would be perfect, until about 10 minutes later. As they crossed the street, the Hampton’s house in sight, a loud booming sound filled their ears. A sleek black car rolled up next to them.
“Hey girls. Need a ride?”, Said one of the most popular seniors in school.
“No. Our houses are right there, thanks. Besides, I hate that song.”, Lillian said sarcastically. Lillian was in the mind set that no one was good enough for Lillian Hampton not even the captain of the lacrosse team.
“I totally love that song! You can give me a ride on Monday! I’d totally be okay with that!”, Charlotte said way to excitedly.
“Actually, my butler is going to pick us up on Monday. Thanks but no thanks.”, Lillian said pulling Charlotte across the street.
“Charlotte, how many times do I have to tell you to not give in when jerks like that flirt with us?”, Lillian scolded as the car sped off.
“I’m sorry, but I’ve had a crush on him since kindergarten! Now he’s on the lacrosse team and all the girls like him!”, Charlotte said.
“Yeah, all the girls but me!”, Lillian said laughing. Lillian knew that Charlotte had always been jealous of her. Lillian had long blonde hair and sky length eyelashes and barely wore any makeup, she had the biggest house in all of Connecticut, and was the most popular girl in school. Charlotte on the other hand was always second to Lillian. Charlotte was the second prettiest in school, had the second biggest house in Connecticut, and was the second most popular. As they were crossing the street something pushed them back and they crashed into a fence.

When they finally rose from the ground Lillian and Charlotte both saw the Hampton Mansion going down in flames.
“This isn’t happening right now.”, Lillian said stunned. Tears filled her eyes and her knees suddenly gave out. Her mother had always told her that only a truly beautiful person could make crying look good, and over the years Lillian had perfected the art, but right now she couldn’t care less. Charlotte stood there like a deer in the headlight’s. The piercing shriek of the sirens filed their ears.


“Hospital bedding is so scratchy.”, Lillian said moving around uncomfortably. Her injuries weren’t severe, just a broken arm, a broken nose, some stitches, and her some internal bleeding. Mr. and Mrs. Hilton demanded she get the best care possible. Considering Lillian parents were in the house the moment of the explosion, the Hilton’s offered to take her in.
“Can me and Charlotte talk in private?”, Lillian asked sweetly. Mr. and Mrs. Hilton nodded and left.
“I heard on the news that someone planted a bomb in your house. It wasn’t a gas leak.”, Charlotte said quietly. Lillian nodded.
“That’s true...but that’s not what I wanted to talk to you about.”, Lillian said. Charlotte scrunched up her eyebrows like she did when she was confused.
“My parents secured my trust fund so that I wasn’t able to use any money until I was married, in college, or...when my parents die.”
“So, what you’re saying is that as of right now, you have-”, Charlotte got cut off.
“10 million dollars in my bank account.”, Lillian finished her sentence.
“What are you planning on doing with it all? If you want my preference, shopping trip!”, Charlotte squealed. Lillian looked down and shook her head.
“I already have it all planned out. I’m going to save around 150,000 dollars so I can get into an Ivy league school. I’m going to buy a home with some of the money and I’ll figure the rest out as I go.”, Lillian said, “But someone was out for my family, which means that I’m in danger. So if, god forbid, I...die...I want you to have the money.”, Lillian said with fear quivering in her voice.
“Lillian, oh my god, thank you!”, Charlotte said hugging Lillian, “I won’t let anything happen to you.”

“We’ve always had a empty guest room that we wanted to fill!”, Mrs. Hilton said excitedly. The room was pink and filled with light from the big window to the right of Lillian’s bed.
“It’s perfect, thanks for you know...everything.”, Lillian said quietly, “Can I have a moment to settle in?” Mrs. Hilton nodded and headed towards the door.
“I’m going to the grocery store with Charlotte. Do you want anything”, Mrs. Hilton asked.
“No thanks.”
As soon as Mrs. Hilton pulled out of the driveway Lillian pulled out five thick envelopes that had all her money in it. She quickly hid it under a floorboard, she discovered lifted up when she was in the 2nd grade. She then heard someone walking slowly in the hallway.
“Hello?”, She said, “Is anyone there?” She carefully got up from the floor and walked down the hall until she came to a door. Mr. and Mrs. Hiltons bedroom. She slowly opened the door and tiptoed in. She walked as slow and as quiet as she could until she walked over a squeaky floorboard. She sank down and lifted it up.
“Oh my god!”, She said quietly. Under the floorboard she found love letters from Mr. Hilton to a woman named Coraletta who he was having an affair with, along with unpaid bills, illegal drugs, and a picture of Lillian on the cover of a notebook. She opened the disturbing notebook and found this:

Today is the day that my whole plan will finally fall into place. At 3:30 pm as Lillian and my beloved Charlotte are walking home from school, I will set off a bomb at the Hilton Mansion, destroying and/or killing anything inside. Lillian will stay with us because of her friendship with Charlotte, then little by little I take from her trust fund until she is left with nothing.

“You shouldn’t be in here.”, Mr. Hilton said standing in the doorway, gun in hand. Lillian jumped up abruptly.
“You were going to use me to pay off drug money! You killed my parents! Why would you do something like that?! What has my family ever done to you?!”, Lillian cried.
“Nothing, thats why they were the perfect target. They didn’t owe me anything so no one would suspect that it was me.”, Mr. Hilton explained.
“I’m calling the cops.”, Lillian said threateningly as she ran for the phone.
“I wouldn’t do that.”, Mr. Hilton said cocking his gun, “I just found out, that if you die, we get your money.”
“You wouldn’t dare.”, Lillian said.
“You sure about that?”
Lillian dashed for the phone while Mr. Hilton shot at her. Thankful that he missed and was out of bullets, she dialed 911 as quick as she could. Mr. Hilton reloaded his gun and shot her before she could speak. Her eyes got wide and she sank to the ground clutching her stomach.
“Never test a Hilton.”, he said as he walked out the door, went into her room and grabbed the envelope.

The last thing that Lillian Hampton saw before floating away forever was Mr. Hilton packing a bag, stuffing it with money, clothes, and drugs he made a phone call to Coraletta, but she couldn’t make out the words. The whole world darkened before her eyes, and before she knew it the earth was floating away, out of her reach.

No comments:

Post a Comment